Thursday, January 21, 2010

full of God's promises

L sent me an email a few minute ago about a blog post she read in "Katie's Blog from Uganda" Every time I read an entry from this girl, the more and more I want to be like her. I don't think I have ever "met" a girl that has followed and trusts God's will more than Katie. She is 21 and has adopted 14 African children! It's crazy. and yet it drips the love of Jesus. I want to meet her in the same way I want to meet Beth Moore. Anyway, L talked about how Katie had put a post up about Abraham and Sarah feeling God's calling to move to Canaan, even though their hearts were not there. Katie says in her blog, it was "a land full of God's promises but barren of all things cherished and familiar." L, you hit it right on the dot, that does resonate with me in so many ways.

"a land full of God's promises but barren of all things cherished and familiar."

That's Monterrey in a sentence.

I can see God working here. I can see how he gives me patience with my students and teaches them important lessons. I can see him working in the orphanages around town. I can see him working in my life. He cleans up my junk and slowly puts me together the way he wants me to be. Monterrey is full of God's promises. He promises to never leave me. He hasn't in Monterrey. He promises to love me no matter what. Man, God's love has been so tangible here. He promises to forgive me. He has showered me with grace over the many mistakes I've made while living in Monterrey. This "land" IS full of God's promises!

and yet, Monterrey is barren of all things cherished and familiar. It lacks my family, my close friends, English, my church, the Rocky Mountains, you know, all the things that I hold close to my heart.

BUT, how could I ever trade following Jesus for comfort? And I'm not talking about tangible comfort of a nice house, good job, or a salary. ( I have those and am so thankful) I'm talking about the comfort of being close to those you care about the most. It's the thing I think about at night. The ones I miss the most.

So L, you are so very right. Thank you for sending me that quote. Also, I had a few good friends send me some REALLY encouraging notes this week. THANK YOU for that! I don't think I really can explain how those made my day. I felt like God used you to talk to me directly. thank you.



No comments: