Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Purple Pumps

Juany has four skirts, a few shirts, and two pairs of shoes. It hit me the other day that she's never really been pampered and given the chance to shop for herself. She spends her 80 dollar a week pay check only on essentials, nothing more.

This is where my friend Natalia and I had an idea.

Natalia introduced me to an amazing store in Monterrey called the Mustang Exchange. It's a consignment shop run by Americans smack in the middle of a big mall here. In exchange for your used clothes, you get store credit to spend as you wish.

Natalia and I went through our closets and grabbed the clothes that didn't fit us anymore, packed them in our car, and took Juany shopping.

Shy at first, Juany went through the racks and found a few things she liked. A bit on the "punk rock girl" side, she chose a few things Avril Lavine would probably wear on stage. I browsed through the store and tried to find some more "grown-up" options for my sweet friend. Glowing from the shoe rack, I spotted them: purple heels. I'm not much of a fashion buff, but when you see a pair of purple heels, you know you've hit money. Juany literally only has a pair of skater shoes and black flip flops. I knew she had to have these.

Before I could say "jackpot" I ran these beauties over to Juany to try on. Like a glove, Juany slipped her feet into them and walked around. Even though they might have fit perfectly, trying to convince her to buy them was a completely different story.

Between the "I don't wear heels Hannah, I never have." and "Purple, really Hannah, purple?"
I kept trying to convince her that I could buy them for her. They were honestly the cutest shoes I've ever seen.

With a little push, Juany left that store with two cute skirts, an amazing dress, and the purple heels.

When we got home, I wasn't sure if I had pushed too hard or not with the heels. I know she has a hard time accepting help from others, but I didn't want to buy her something she would never wear.

Thinking about this, I heard a smacking sound coming from our living room. Not sure what the noise was, I opened the bathroom door to find Juany in our living room... practicing walking back and forth....in her brand new purple heels.

I love this girl!









No comments: