New School ( a.k.a. airport) and New Classroom. 
1) Yelling at kids never works. It just makes them upset and you feel worse than you did before you started yelling.
2) Kids LOVE routines. Keep things simple and do those simple things day after day until they become habits.
3) Be firm but fair. Match the consequence with the action. Having the entire class stay in for someone else's mistake never works. Kids start to resent you. Give limited choices and make the consequence known way before the kid acts out.
4) I never raise my voice anymore...but I'm always firm with my words
5) You'll never earn a kids respect if you're not nice to them. Really, when I hear about a kid that is going to be a "challenge" I start out by praising them over and over again. Once they know you believe in them, they'll do about anything you say.
6) Be yourself. I've tried the "no smiling till Christmas" deal. It doesn't work. They can tell when you're not genuine. I admit to my mistakes and apologize when I cross the line.
7) Follow through with what you say. If you tell a kid you're going to keep them in for recess, do it. They need to know you are reliable.
8) Don't give into power struggles. Your line is the bottom line. Don't give into excuses
9) I always treat my classroom like a team. "We're in this together" mentality. Dictatorship classrooms never really work, kids don't feel comfortable.
10) Learning happens when kids feel at home. Make your classroom a place they will feel welcome in.
11) The social-emotional aspect of a child is far more important than the academic side. ( at least in my book)
12) praise, praise, praise, praise
Far from being where I want to as a teacher, but I think I've come a long ways. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment