Thursday, September 23, 2010

Español con Juany

I've come to realize that things that are worth while are never easy. Really, never. You always learn the most from times when you've been stretched or put in a less than comfortable situation.

I love Juany, more than I can describe. But it is hard to live with a Spanish speaker when I am clearly not fluent in this language yet. I come home, tired, and try to understand her. Most of the time, I do. Sometimes, it literally goes straight over my head faster than she can say "como estas?" My Spanish brain just doesn't work well at 11pm at night. Sometimes I just say "claro que si" even when I have no clue what she asked me. It's all part of the learning process, right?

I know that God told me to live with her last April. He made it so very clear to me that during those times when I feel frustrated, I can sit back and relax in the truth that this is exactly where God wants me right now: with her.

They always say you'll have one of those "it just clicks" moments with your second language. I don't believe in that anymore. Spanish has come slowly for me. It's been a roller coaster ride where some days I'm on and others I feel like I've never studied it before. I'm just hoping those days when "I'm on" stick around longer than the latter.


No comments: