Yesterday, Juan Marco came into my room and told me that this year, he realized that Christmas was going to be something that was shared only in his heart. You see, Juan Marco has three kids and does not have enough money to buy them gifts this year. He told me that it didn't matter because he was looking forward to spending time with them.
Feeling generous and touched by this, another teacher and I, went to Walmart last night and bought his three kids gifts. One soccer ball, two scarves, two lip glosses, four sets of earrings, two necklaces, and two hot wheels later, Juan Marco said "Gracias por todo"
I'm not writing this to make myself look better or to boost myself up. I write because of the lessons Juan Marco has taught me. He works at our school 6 days a week for long hours and yet he barely gets by. He comes into school every day with the biggest smile on his face and never complains. He tells me that it doesn't matter what you have, its your family that truly matters. He tells me that I am a Mexican at heart, and to not worry about the people who stare at me, the "gringa." He tells me to take it easy, to rest, and take care of myself. He has so little and yet he shares so much. I just hope that his Christmas is filled with lots and lots of blessings and joy!
Feliz Navidad Juan Marco!
No comments:
Post a Comment