Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Transito

There are three levels of "cops" in Mexico.

The Transito: Kind of like under paid mall cops that roam the streets passing out "legitimate" tickets to cars, especially those of the American persuasion.
The Policia: Roam the streets, flashing their lights at all times.
The Federales: Don't mess with me, I carry an m-16

Morones Prieto is filled with Transitos scheming ways to take money from "speeding drivers" Out of the many times I've had the fine privilege to interact with these nice fellows, Christi and I have found a way to bypass them.

Instead of flashing their lights behind you ( like the US does) the transito just stand on the side of the road. When they want to bribe you, they move out into the middle of the street, pull out their index finger, and wave you down.

Last month, on our way to church, Christi and I spotted one of our Transito friends standing on the corner. Stepping out to wave us down with his finger, Christi says,

"Quick Hannah, don't look at him. If we don't "see" him, we don't have to pull over."

And so, on we went, eyes straight forward, 50 km/hr, right past him, never making eye contact.

He didn't try to track us down or bribe us for money.
It worked perfectly.

No comments: