Monday, May 17, 2010

My Memoir for 5C

My class is working on a Memoir Unit right now. This is the writing I plan on sharing with them tomorrow. :)


It feels like it was just yesterday that I stepped into 5C for the first time. Fresh from Colorado and a bit naïve, I came in with a box of teaching books and a nervous grin across my face. I had always heard that your first year of teaching was hard, but I don’t think Ireally knew what the upcoming year had in store for me.


“Good morning boys and girls,” I said nervously in front of my class. “Welcome to 5C! Plan on learning a lot here,” I tried to say as confidently as possible. As the year went on, I quickly realized just how hard teaching can be. From class detentions, family issues, bad days, missing homework, straight lines, and the challenge of managing 21 kids at once, I realized that the career I had chosen for myself was no easy feat. While the job might be hard, I don’t think I would ever take back the students that God brought me during that year. Ranging from all different personalities, each one left a print on my heart that won’t soon be erased. I left the end of last year exhausted but happy. I had finished my first year of teaching, without dying.


As this year comes to a close, I am feeling the same nostalgia I had last year. Except this year, I am saying goodbye to A.S.F.M. Missouri for good. I can’t believe that two years of my life have passed under this roof. This classroom, 5C, symbolizes growth for me. I’ve learned what it means to be a teacher in this room. I’ve learned what it means to care and love for students with my whole heart. I’ve learned that its okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. I’ve learned the beauty of teaching a good lesson and watching your students finally understand the material. I’ve learned what it means to pick your battles wisely. But most of all, I’ve learned that teaching is all about taking risks to make a difference.


In a few short weeks, I’m going to have to say goodbye to this room, the place I started my teaching career. I’m not ready to let it go yet. I’m not ready to stop hearing whether or not I like pie from Pato. I’m not ready to stop helping my lovely 5C students on their writing. I’m not ready to stop seeing Guti’s bright smile every morning. I’m not ready to pack up this room and change to a new campus. But, if I have learned anything from life, it changes. And so, I’ll take these past two years, store them in my heart, and bravely walk forward into whatever life might have for me.

No comments: