Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Comfort

When most people hear that I live in Mexico, they automatically think that I must really be "roughing it." To be perfectly honest with you, I live in the richest suburb in Latin America. San Pedro is full of millionaires, mansions, BMW's, and people who think they are a lot more important than they actually are. The sad part is, as I've gotten comfortable here, I've become part of this culture. I shop at the nice HEB, I go to VIP movies, I get the expensive coffee at Starbucks just because I can, and ( insert gag) I even have a maid.

I've created a nice little life of comfort here for myself. The thing is, it's not me. It's not a coincidence that God has placed this on my heart recently and asked me to change it. It's like He has slowly revealed the abusurdity of the whole thing. "Do you really need to spend 120 pesos on a VIP movie, when a regular one only costs 30? When have you ever needed a maid before Hannah?"

He's given me books like Crazy Love by Francis Chan to make me realize that God doesn't just ask us to step out of our lives of comfort, He demands it. He's given me passages in the Bible that say just how hard it is for the rich to get into Heaven. It's like He's slowly taking a sledge hammer and has started to crack this life of comfort I've grown accustom to living in.

The other day, I was reading a chapter from Crazy Love. Feeling fed up with living this way, I started to pray,
"Okay God, I want to change, I want to give alll of this up, just open a door."

If I've learned anything about God it's that when you pray things like this, He answers....quickly.

The next day, I was having coffee with my friend Cristina. She pulled out Crazy Love and started telling me about this great book she's been reading. Surprised that we were reading the same book, I started to tell her what God's been doing on my heart.

"I just don't feel like I'm suppose to live in San Pedro anymore and pay sooo much for rent next year." I told her. "I just don't know what to do about it.

It was then, God opened the door.
"Oh man Hannah, I have this great friend who is an orphan here in Mty. Her name is Juany. She's cute, fun, and I know would love to live with you next year. Let me talk to her and see what she says."

As Cristina told me more about Juany and how hard her life has been, something felt right about it. How hand crafted is it to put a girl that's never lived in comfort with a girl that's trying to get out of it?

Cristina wrote me an email the next morning. She had talked to Juany and she had said YES!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You never said why you were in Monterrey in the first place. Since you talk of Jesus, why not associate with a Bible Preaching church in the area and use your time for His Glory that way? Enjoyed the article and will continue reading...LOL

Ron