Sunday, May 23, 2010

Faith Like a Child

I went to church at Douglas today. During the worship service, a little boy who lives at the orphanage there, came up to give his testimony.

He simply said,

" About 15 days ago, I prayed that my aunt would come to visit me here. Just yesterday, my aunt CAME and guess what, she brought me chicken to eat! Gracias a Dios!"

How precious is the faith of this child? Really, this boy has so little. Yet, he is able to praise our amazing God with that special testimony.

After the service was over, I followed that little boy and my friend Caroline down to the dining hall at the Casa Hogar. Caroline looked at me and said, "These kids are going to eat well today Hannah!" Before I knew it, Caroline and I were cooking up a storm. We fired up frijoles, tortillas, and mac and cheese for 8 preciosos that live at Douglas. I sat and watched the reality they live in every day. They have so little, yet, this little boy can praise Jesus for bringing him chicken to eat.

God has been blowing me away recently. I'm having a hard time explaining to people the change that is happening inside me, let alone explain it to myself. All I know, is that right now, I have a deep passionate drive to help the poor. It's always been a big desire of my heart but all of a sudden, my talk is turning into action. The thing is, its not me. I'm the Hannah that loves comfort and has lived in San Pedro for the past two years. This is God making this change in me.

I've been praying a lot about what I am going to do with my housing situation for next year. After hearing that Juany is going to be living in London ( Thanks to God) I've been having some major setbacks on whether or not I should move into this place, without the security of a roommate. The thing is, the more I pray about it, the more I feel God telling me to move into this part of town and trust Him. I know, I know, you are probably thinking I am crazy right now. Every time I tell people that I am going to stick with this, they keep telling me I should think twice.

I've heard,

"Hannah, is it safe?"
"How about the drive to work in the mornings?"
"What about your car?"
"Can you padlock your house?"
"That's just not wise."
"Wait, what?"

The thing is, if I moved back into San Pedro, I'd always have that gut feeling that I didn't listen to what God has for me.

It's one thing to write a check for the poor. It's another to be the hands and feet. It's scary, but I'd so much rather choose the ladder.

"For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

-Matthew 25: 35-40-



No comments: