Thursday, February 25, 2010

the joy of teaching

I took a day off yesterday to recover from my sleep depravity. I had been feeling off all week and could see how it was rubbing off on my students. I needed a break from them.

I came in this morning to find this note from my sub on my desk

"Hannah! Your students behavior was TERRIBLE! ( insert sad face with steam coming out of his head and giant ears that look like they are ready to explode). All the other teachers agreed with me that we had a BAD DAY due to the fact they were off task, interrupting, disrespectful, laughing, ( the works as we may say). I am surprised by the behavior of 5C and am upset they can't follow the expectations you have laid out. I think they should stay in for lunch detention fore the rest of the week. Email me, M."

Trying to collect myself, I walked into the faculty room this morning and talked to another teacher. I told her the story and J simply answered, "Oh yeah, your class was horrible yesterday."

With a few minutes until the first bell rang, I had to come up with a plan. I ran into my to grab my stop watch and stop sign. I stood outside, patiently waiting for my students.

They could tell I was pissed. I didn't say a word. I just stood there, holding my stop sign up with my stop watch in hand like a man in the military.

One boy tried to talk in line. I calmly ( with that voice you don't want to mess with) said "A, now is NOT the time to talk." They sat there, silently.

"5C, in a single file line, walk into the room, lay your stuff down, and find your new assigned seat on the carpet." ( I don't think they have had assigned carpet seats since 1st grade)

They didn't argue, they just did. Single file, one at a time, without question.

They could hear my shoes as I walked towards the carpet. I sat down on my big chair and read them the Sub's note. In a calm voice I told them, "I'm shocked and disappointed. Never in my career as a teacher ( yes its only been two years, but they sure don't know that) have I received a note from a Sub like this. If you plan on acting like a 1st grader, I will treat you like one. Don't plan on having any privileges until further notice."

With their eyes wide open, they stared at me and for the first time this year, didn't say a word.

I kept my stop watch on all day.

Lets just say they had a much better day.




3 comments:

Beth said...

Hannah I'm SO PROUD OF YOU! I am saving the phrase "Don't plan on having any privileges until further notice" for when I'm a parent. That's amazing.

p.s. What's the stopwatch for???

Hannah said...

Oh B!

I wish you could have seen me, you would have been like who is that teacher and where did Hannah Rodgers go?

The stopwatch: I give them two minutes to transition between the carpet and their desks. I hold the stop watch up and tell them two minutes, GO! When I have it around my neck, they know I'm mad. ;)

Unknown said...

Nice job. Give 'em hell.