Monday, February 15, 2010

patterns

I've done it again: I have too much on my plate.

It's a pattern I always fall back into. I get involved in WAY too many activities, feel overwhelmed, can't do any of them well, and then burn out.

Currently I'm in the following

-Yoga classes
-A hard Spanish course at the University
-Spanish tutoring
-Teaching 60 hour weeks
-Training for a 1/2 marathon
-tutoring for students after school

While I love all of them, I can't do them all at once. I've never been a good at multitasking, yet I always try to juggle too many things. I try to be a good teacher but I spend my time after school doing my Spanish homework for class. I want to learn Spanish but I can't immerse myself because I am obligated to teach my students in English. I want to be a better teacher but I can't seem to find the motivation to dig deeper with my students. I want to run a good half marathon time but don't have enough time to run after school. I feel frustrated that my friendship aren't deep here, yet I don't have time to dig into them.

I remember during my senior year of college, my bible study leader sat down with me and told me that I had to take something off my plate. She told me that even if I loved doing it, it wasn't healthy for me to be doing TOO many things.

I think I need to take a healthy dose of her advice a few years later.


No comments: