Sunday, February 21, 2010

Church

This has been my pattern with churches here in Monterrey.

I go
I get really excited about going
I try to understand the sermon in Spanish
I get frustrated when I don't
I try to meet people by speaking Spanish
I get frustrated when my convo doesn't get far
I stop going

I was talking to Christi about this frustration this morning.
Here's what she said

"I think you need to pick a church that you kinda like...relationships don't come quick."

Oh there is truth in that. Relationships don't come quick. I've known my best friends for years. And not just one or two, I mean ten or eleven.

When the honeymoon period wears off from a church, I need to stick with it. I need to pick one "I kind of like" and keep going, even when I am frustrated, even when I don't understand the sermon, even when I have a hard time initiating conversations.

Christi and I went to Encuentro this morning. It's the church I initially went to when I first got here. This morning, I felt frustrated when a girl came up to me say hello and I couldn't figure out what she said after that. But, as Christi said, relationships don't come quickly. I'll go back next week and ask her how she has been doing again. And if that doesn't work, I'll try it again the week after.

No comments: