My first day went well! I woke up this morning and was incredibly nervous to start. After a few pep calls from my mom and dad, I headed to school around 6:45 to get some last minute things set up. Today, I focused on building community in the classroom and did a lot of team building exercises. I went over my rules and expectations, our character values system, and just had a good time. I was hoping to come across firm but caring. ( I think I usually tend to be a little "too nice") On Wed. we normally have early dismissal (1:45) so before I knew it, the day was over. My students are VERY cute. They have a hard time pronouncing my last name so they just call me Miss. ( except they can't pronounce the i well, so it comes across as meeesss, with a long e sound) I was very impressed by their level of respect and knowledge. With Mexican culture, most of the behavior problems in this school revolve around chattiness in the classroom. I feel like that is one thing I'll have to nip before it happens. Other than that, I have a feeling that this is going to be a good year full of challenges and lots of rewards.
After school today, my 5th grade teaching team had ice cream and brownies for us. On top of that, they honored first year teachers for starting their careers off. There are about 5 of us that are first years ( not here at the school but in general) They gave me this great 8x10 picture of me teaching my class today, with "Hannah Rodgers 5C, congrats on your very first day as a teacher" written on the bottom. I just feel very supported here!
Cheers to a good day!
No comments:
Post a Comment