






I finished my first week as a teacher!!! I always knew that teaching was hard work but I don't think I understood just true that is until now. From grading, planning, assessments, organizing, running records, to classroom management, I am finding myself working close to 65 hours a week right now. I'm realizing that you have to be passionate about teaching in order to have this job. You can't be in the middle, it just doesn't work that way. I spent today working with my team leader on running records and figuring out the everyday math program we use at ASFM. This upcoming week we will have to assess the students on their instructional/independent reading levels by using running records. Depending on what the students tested at last year, we use leveled books to determine where they should start off in 5th grade. It's a great assessment tool, its just a lot of work. ;) I am so glad I have Maryanne to help me figure all of this out!! :)
I'm really enjoying my class. While they are super chatty ( the culture here) they are so cute. During one of my lessons this past week, I asked the students why we would have the rule "Pick up after yourselves" One of the girls raised her hand and said "Because we don't have maids here to do the work for us." LOL...without breaking down in laughter it, I just looked at her and said something like, "Thats a great answer hun." To say the least, they are from a different culture than I am use to, but just SO cute.
I got to talk to Drew's sister today about culture shock and the struggle of moving to a new country. It was really great to have someone I could relate with. She showed me a model of the typical stages a person goes through while working internationally. In my next post, I'll spell it out for you. I thought it was really informative and dead on to the way I have been feeling these past few weeks here. It's nice to put a name to the changes I feel.
Above are a few pics that my roomie Christi has taken
No comments:
Post a Comment