Friday, December 3, 2010

its all about who you are

The other day, I asked my students this question, "What are three things you want out of life?" These were their answers

"I want a nice car, a HUGE house, and a ton of money."
"I want a pretty wife, a porsche, a gigantic house, and lots and lots and LOTS of money."

This was the trend. Kid after kid told me that money would make them happy. If they only could have a huge house and a crap load of stuff, ah yes, then they'd be good to go. Besides laughing about the pretty wife comment, I just felt sad after hearing this.

A huge part of this city's culture revolves around what you have, not who you are. It's embedded in them from a young age. If your dad drives a porsche, you gotta be someone someone special. But if your chauffer ( yep they all have em) picks you up in a buick, your reputation is sure to fly out the door.

I told them something that I don't think they'll understand till they're older.

"Class, sometimes the things you think will make you happy, only make you miserable in the end. Email me in twenty years when money doesn't give you happiness."

Half of them look offended but they needed to hear it. As their teacher, I am far more concerned about who they become over their test scores.

It's just that important.



No comments: