Sunday, December 12, 2010

He can't change, its just who he is

I spent the evening reading through my old journal. I came across an entry I wrote almost three years ago, right before I left for Mexico. I was having a lot of anxiety about moving here and had a lot of fear attached to leaving Colorado. My good friend B told me to write down all my fears on one side of the paper and then put down God's promises on the other. My fears list was long, deep, vast, and scary. I put down everything. Fear of loosing friends. Fear of failing as a teacher. Fear of having Colorado change without me. Fear of not learning Spanish fast enough. Fear of not making good friends in Mexico or finding a good church. Fear of being lonely. Fear of letting go of everything that was familiar to me. On the other side, God gave me verse after verse. The main theme: everything will change except me.

Looking back on that entry three years later gives me the chills. It's true. Everything did change. Relationships changed. Colorado changed. I didn't learn Spanish quickly. I didn't find a church right away. I've been lonely. I've been broken. I'm not the same. Everything has changed since I left Colorado.

Except God.

I, the Lord, do not change.
-Malachi 3:6-

As I spend my last six months here in Mexico, I know this same thing is true. Everything is about to change for me. But, I have that promise, that no matter what changes around me, God won't. He'll still be my best friend. He'll still be by my side. He promises that He will remain the same. And God, can't break his promises.





No comments: