Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Defender of the Fatherless

I hung out with Juany last night for the first time in a week.
It's not because I've been busy
No
It's because she works 6 days a week at Jac and Rae.
It's because sometimes her job makes her work 16 hour days
She'll leave her work at 2:30 am and come back at 8am the next day
She only gets paid about 2 bucks an hour and barely makes tips
Yet, she works and works and works and works.

In the last week of living with Juany, I've been bombarded by what it must feel like to have grown up poor and without parents. I can not even grasp what it has been like for her but I feel like God has broken my heart a little to show me just how much he loves this girl.

Every conversation I have with her, I am blown away. The other day she told me that she usually stays at home for Christmas. She told me its weird to go over to other peoples' houses because its not her own family. What if I'd never had a Christmas with my family? That would mean I would have never gone over to my grandma's house on Christmas eve each year. I would have never gone on our crazy "Austin/Rodgers Christmas Run" that my mom forces me to do. She's never had a Christmas with PEOPLE that LOVE her? What?

I think about all of those times my parents have been there for me. School. Heartache. Celebrations. Birthdays. Vacations. Homework. Support. Financially. Through college. Provided me a home. Gave me stability. Cooked food. Loved me. Emailed me. Called me. Missed me. Juany hasn't had that.

Juany started college but can't finish because she can't afford it. I told her yesterday that I would pay for her to go back if she wanted. Cristina and I could split it two ways and for seriously only 50 bucks a month, she could finish her degree and get a better job. When I told her this, she told me I paid for too many things for her. The thing is, she's not an obligation! I want to pay for her to go back to school. I desperately want her to have a job that she loves and pays her well, without having to work 70 hours a week.

She got excited for a little bit but then she explained that she'd still have to work at Jac and Rae 70 hours a week while going to school. I asked her if she could go part-time, she told me that is an option for rich people, not her.

I feel pretty broken over this. God has to have more for her than a job at Jac and Rae for the rest of her life. Feeling a bit helpless, I started to look for verses about God and his love for orphans.

He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing. -Deuteronomy 10:18-

He defends Juany
He loves her
He will provide for her
He will give her what she needs

Thank you God for giving me the reassurance that when I can't do something about it, you can.





No comments: