She wrote,
"This morning as I went through my bible study which was on the topic of what we strive for in life - achievements, living up to our potential, always wanting to be great and not just good. Beth Moore said that "to live for the greatness of God (not myself) is to live the great life. I came across Mark 10:43-45, "Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
Questions flooded into my mind... How often do I go through my life and my day just expecting everyone else to serve ME? I want things done in my way, when I want it, how I want it. What about in my relationships with other people? with my friends? How often do I determine the value of a friendship simply based off what the other person brings to me?
It's all about me it seems.
Then I get defensive. After all, I'm American - that's just what I've been taught. I can't help it right? Or it's not bad or wrong right?
For the past several months, I've been contemplating what being an American has taught me about the world - or more appropriately - what being American has told me I deserve in this world.
Is it even POSSIBLE that what we Americans chalk up as just "how it is" or "normal" or "what I deserve because I earned it" and how we go about living our affluent lives is POSSIBLY contrary to God's biblical framework for how we should live and what standard of living we consider we "need" to be content? Just a question - it is possible that we American Christ followers are confused?
I came across this video yesterday online. Click on it, watch it, and tell me what you think. I'm interested.
My first comment on this video: Interesting that I need to watch the censored version of this. I can't even handle to see a picture of someone else's daily reality."
I read this and stopped. The funny thing is, I had this exact same conversation with my friend Christina this morning. I am so rich compared to the rest of the world. So so so stinking rich.
(over 3/4 of the world lives on less than 2 dollars a day) Yet, its easy for me to consider myself middle class when everyone around me in this community has millions. It's so easy to say, "Why don't they give their money away when they have so much?" instead of looking at myself. It's easier to look at others than to take a deep look at your own heart.
So my question is, what am I going to do about it? Am I going to continue living comfortably here in San Pedro with my great job, nice apt, and starbucks mug? Or am I going to make some changes? It's a choice....one that is not easy in the community I am in. I heard a sermon a few weeks ago that talked about this. The pastor discussed how we always ask God to work with what we already have. We say, " I need God to work with the relationships, job, location, home, or schedule I already have." We find ourselves saying, "God, why won't you work in this life I have right now?"
It's time that I stop asking God to move within what I have right now. My simple prayer is this, "God I will sacrifice and change things for you to move in my life, just lead me."
It is so easy to look at my move to Mexico as a big sacrifice and leave it at that. Yes, it was a big move but it doesn't stop there. I so often sit in my own self pity and think about all of the things I wish were different in my life. It's time that I wake up, and start making some big changes.
This post is messy and a bit of a rant. I'm pretty sure the majority of it doesn't make sense.
I just feel angry and passionate all at the same time.
It's time to wake up!
2 comments:
Bashing the United States is easy. There are a lot of people in the world who dislike the US for legitimate and false reasons.
Arguably, what the US does is out of your control.
You only have control over 2 things; what you do and what you do not do.
It is your ultimately your choice.
Just by asking these hard questions, your already taken a path less traveled. How long or how far you follow that path is yours to decide.
I offer a quote I think may be relevant to you as you think on these things:
"The only zen you find at the top of a mountain is the zen you take there."
Be well
Hey Hannah,
Thoughtful post. Boy, do I relate to everything. I'm always thinking, "My sacrifice is that I moved here. That's enough!" while continuing to feel entitled to so many additional things.
I think we all need that reality check.
Thanks, love.
Post a Comment