"No, honey, I'm not Catholic, but I'm Christian...its the same Jesus."
"Oh, I'm not a Christian mees, I'm Catholic."
I can't tell you how many times I've had this conversation with my students. It confuses me. Don't we believe in the same God and the same Jesus? Aren't we both Christians? Sure, there are differences but why don't these kids consider themselves Christians when they believe and follow the same Jesus?
After having a conversation like this with one of my students today, I decided to ask a local teacher. She told me that in Mexico, its a complete seperation. You are either Catholic or Christian, not both. They even call other Christians, "seperated brothers and sisters"
This makes me sad. Its time that we stopped looking at our differences and realize that we serve the same amazing and authentic God!
4 comments:
"Separated brothers and sisters" is a term of endearment so please take no offense.
No offense taken :) I wrote out of curiosity...don't Catholics consider themselves Christians too?
I find most people (irregardless of religious background) assume Christian = Protestant. Therefore, many Catholics, myself included, feel they must qualify by saying, "Yes, I'm Christian. I'm Catholic." I've been told many times by Protestants that Catholicism is not under the Christianity umbrella, but I've never heard of Catholics themselves denying the Christian label. So this Mexican cultural trait you describe seems strange.
I agree, I have never heard it this way either until I moved here. It's always been the other way around. I just don't get why they make the difference...Christian or Catholic, not both, ya know? It always puzzles me whenever I hear it.
Post a Comment