Friday, April 30, 2010

Giving

Every Tuesday, I put a "Do Now" on the board for my kids. I vary it every week but usually it consists of a question that makes them think outside the box, a writing prompt that makes them think about who they are, or a brain teaser.

This past Tuesday, I put up this
"If a miracle could happen in your life tomorrow morning, what would it be? Why did you choose this?"

After ten minutes or so, I asked if I had any volunteers to share their answers.

Andres raised his hand high in the air and shook it, almost unable to keep his answer in. Being one of the wealthiest kids in our class ( I'm talking millions upon millions), Andres answered, "Mees, I would wake up and my family would be rich!"

It stopped me. And then, I did something really un-teacher like. I looked at him and responded, "Andres your family is ALREADY well-off, what ( the heck) are you talking about?"
He just looked at me and defensively said "No mees, I'm not rich at all, we just need more."

His answer has been swirling around in my head for a few days now. Money does crazy things to people. It makes you think that what you have is not enough. If I only had this job, or this salary, or this _______( fill in your own blank) I've seen it first hand while working with kids that have more money than they know what to do with. The thing is, they are just as lonely, and have the same problems, as anyone else. In fact, most of these kids are being raised by their choffer or nanny; while their dad is working and their moms are at social gatherings having coffee. They're never content with what they have. They always tell me, "Mees, if I just had that I-pod, or that computer, or that juicy shirt, or that_______, I would be happy."

Call me young or an idealist, but I think its about time that we drop the idea that money will make us happy. It's important, yes, but how we view it is crucial. Some of the happiest people I have ever met work at my school as janitors. With pay that can't support an individual, let alone a family, they have found the secret to being content.

I've been listening to a lot talks by Francis Chan. This pastor, out of California, gives almost 90 percent of his money away each year. That's crazy! He's started to make me think about the ways I spend my money and the ways I give ( or my lack of giving) to others. My finances have never been a strength of mine. I use to have a hard time with the idea of giving. That sounds crazy once I actually put it down on paper. The thing is, it was all rooted out of fear and greed. I would think, "If I give this much away, what would happen if I had an emergency and needed that cash?" or "Once I have more money, that's when I'll give" or even worse, "I earned it, its not theirs!"

But with grace, God has been working on that area of my heart. He is slowly changing my beliefs about it and making me realize that my money was never mine in the first place. I'm learning that giving is not an option, He calls us to give to others.

Francis Chan said a quote in one of his sermons that keeps ringing through my head,
"Live a life that demands an explanation."
How can we do this?






1 comment:

Beth said...

H,
This totally made me think: "How many times have I thought to myself, 'I wish I were rich'?" Imagine saying that in front of about 90% of the world.
It would sound just as ridiculous as Andres.

Great post, love you.