Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Español

I had one of the best spanish lessons I´ve ever had today.

It came in the form of a gay fasionishita who did my nails today in my hotel in Guadalajara.

The only two phrases this fine young man knew in English were

"Sooo beautiful" and "That`s not in your color pallete"

For two hours, this man pampered me with a medicure, pedicure, eyebrow wax, and one of the best conversations I`ve ever had in Spanish

While I told him about my job and my students
He told me about what colors he thought fit me best for Spring

While I explained why I had decided to come to Mexico in the first place
He told me about his 13 brothers and sisters that all live in Guadalajara

While I chatted about the top ten reasons I love Mexico
He told me why I should move to Guadalajara after my time in Monterrey is done.

For two hours, our conversation went back and forth.
Everyone once in awhile, he´d chime in

"Tu español es muy bueno Hannah"

He gave me confidence....a confidence I really haven`t found before in my quest to learn a second language.

For the first time, I realized that my Spanish is not as bad as I put it out to be. I am learning and I´m feeling great about it!

While I spent a little bit more than I expected today on my "pedi and mani" I don´t think I could have put a cost on this learning experience.

And besides, how else would I have known that baige is not in my color pallate.

1 comment:

Laura S said...

Haha, and that's a valuable lesson! Really, is beige in anyone's color palette? Maybe a certain shade of it, but in general I've always thought it to be kind of a blah color.