I recently just read an email devotional about a woman who was feeling the pressure of being a good mom. She had sat in a seminar listening to a very organized mom talking about how she parented her kids. She was an amazing woman; a super mom in her eyes. After a lot of prayer, she started to let go of her comparisons to this woman, and embrace the qualities God had given her as a mother.
While I can’t relate to being a mother (yet), the devotional reminded me of the same ways I feel pressure to be a “perfect” teacher. Sometimes, I come to work and compare myself to all of the other fantastic teachers that work around me. I hear myself say, “Wow, they are ahead in this or they have fantastic classroom management…and I come now where close to being that way.” This email made me realize that while I am still a first year teacher, God has given me the exact qualities that my students need. I am growing, falling short, getting back up again, and learning from my mistakes.
I may not be the most organized teacher, but I am fun and love to be spontaneous with my kiddos. I can throw a mean dance party during lunch.
I may not have the best classroom management skills yet but I am enthusiastic and can grab my student’s attention during my lessons.
I may not know all of the pedagogy or theories of teaching but I have a huge heart for my kids and want to see them succeed. I will do anything to see them move ahead in their learning. I am teachable and want to learn as much as I can about teaching.
I may make mistakes but I am dedicated to my students. I don’t mind spending my recess or lunch breaks with them, ensuring that they understand their homework.
Some days, I come home and feel like I have truly made a difference. Others, I come home crying. It’s the life of a first year teacher. And while, I don’t have the years or experience under my belt yet, I want to embrace who I am as a teacher and stop being so hard on myself. I can only learn and grow from here.
No comments:
Post a Comment