I feel like a part of my heart has been missing since I left Monterrey in June. While I love and feel blessed to be where I am right now, my heart hurts when I think about Monterrey. I miss so much about it. I miss my friends, my job, the culture, the language, the people. I miss the small victories of having conversations in Spanish when you're nervous about messing up. I miss talking to Rachel and Lauren after work and having bible study every Wednesday night at Starbucks. I miss talking to Juany in Spanish and living in Mitras Centro. I miss Super Salads and my church. I miss laughing with Nora and living in my small apartment. I miss my students, who never failed to make me laugh and feel annoyed all at the same time. I grew into a woman in Monterrey, learned to live on my own, worked hard at my job, and learned to be a good teacher.
While I didn't like Mexico at first, I fell in love with it over time. I know, I know I know...transitions take time. There were so many times in Mexico that were just plain hard. So many times when I wanted to pack up and move back to the States. I'm not holding it up on a pedestal, but simply miss it.
I love Joburg in a lot of ways. I feel blessed to be here and to be so close to David. I like my church and the people in it. I believe in ALA and love what they are doing. Yet, it doesn't get to my heart the way Mexico does. I just miss it. I miss it so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment