Sunday, August 21, 2011

Peaceful Jetlag

I made it! International travel is never truly international without a few setbacks.

In a few days time,

My baggage broke ( twice) Once the night before. Once two hours before my flight. Lesson learned: never buy a suitcase from Wallmart. Luckily, I have a smart mom who was able to find a suitcase for me, literally two hours before I left.

Silly lufthansa airlines made a rule that you can only take one bag ( yep one) to Africa. Then they continued to charge me 150 dollars for bringing one bag that was overweight. You should have seen my mom and I in the airport trying to decide what was important for me to bring vs. what she should take back with her.

I didn't fit into my seat on Lufthansa air. (I'm not exaggerating this) They crammed the seats in so closely that I actually had to bend my knees the whole time to fit. I love being tall but I would have given a lot to take a few inches off this time.

I didn't get the right visa when I arrived in South Africa. They gave me a visitor's visa, not the temporary work one I was suppose to get. I still have to figure out how to solve that.

I'm super jet lagged. I was up at 2am and didn't fall back to sleep until 7ish. I slept until 4pm today. And now, well, I'm not tired at all.

But despite the newness, the transitions, the craziness and setbacks of getting here, I feel a deep deep sense of peace. I can't describe it. Before I left, I felt consumed by the amount of obstacles I had to climb over. Now, they seem so small compared to where God has put me. I feel like I am about to embark on something that is much bigger than I am. This experience isn't just something to boost my resume or call another crazy adventure. I feel like God has me here for a reason, yet I can't pin point that exactly.

Last night, two of David's friends picked me up from ALA and took me to their house for dinner. They welcomed me in like we were old friends. It was like God telling me that He wants me here, that this is exactly where I am suppose to be right now.

Here's to the start of a journey. I'm not sure what it will bring, yet I'm excited to be a part of it.

2 comments:

Jess and Jeff said...

Your baggage delimma is part of why checking in for international flights stresses me out like no other. Way to weather the bumps and come out with that sense of peace...what a blessing! So glad yoúre there safely and with people who will surely be great friends. Your other great friends around the world will be jealous they get to keep your company!

Hannah said...

Thanks Friend, I really miss you!