At first glance, you might think E looks tough, but he's not. In fact, I think E has the biggest heart out in my whole class. A total goof ball, E is known for getting himself into trouble. He can't keep still, he loves to dance in class, and will randomly scream out sounds in the middle of my lessons. He loves Michael Jackson sooo much, that he actually dressed up as him for two months straight last year. He even had the gloves. To get him to do math, which he hates, I let him moon walk back to his cubby to get his math journal. Every once in awhile, he'll scream out "It doesn't matter if we're black or white meeees" I just scream back, "You're right E, it doesn't!" Each Friday is opposite day with E. He'll say "Mees, how are you
not doing?" I'll always tell him, only on Fridays of course, that I'm doing
just terrible. He smiles, salutes me like a soldier, and says "Yes mam, off to work."
I've learned to dig deeper with E. Because, behind all the weirdness and toughness, E's heart shines through. He's the only one that will say "Que onda" to each guard on our way to P.E. He's the only one that will ask if I'm feeling happy. When E first showed up in 5C, I wasn't exactly thrilled. Now, I have no idea how my year would have been without this kid.
E doesn't fit the mold of our school. I think that's what I like about him the most. He's unique. He doesn't care what people think of him . He's just himself.
I have a lot to learn from this little Michael Jackson. I don't think I'll ever think of the moon walk in the same way again.
No comments:
Post a Comment