Thursday, August 27, 2009

What they don't teach you in college

In the midst of talking about making hand sanitizer our new best friend today, S, a very shy girl, ran up to me, screaming,

"MEEEEES....its coming!!!!"

"What's coming hun?"

Before she even answered, I saw the stream of pee flowing down her leg onto our white tile floor. Her bright red face and tears said it all. She ran out of the room, leaving a trail of yellow behind her.

The rest of my class stood behind their desks, in a dead silence, ready for lunch. As I dismissed them, each one had to step over the large puddle to exit our classroom.

"Mees, is that PEE?" one asked.

Trying to come up with something witty in my head, I quickly replied,
"Oh no...you see..I really love yellow gatorade. I was drinking it so fast today, I spilled it all over our floor."

"Really Hannah?" I thought..."Yellow Gatorade? jaja"

My kids, looking at me like I was completely crazy, each gave me a face, and headed off to lunch.

S walks on back toward my class, sweatshirt tightly wrapped around her waist...

"Hun, if you have to go that bad, don't even ask, just go." I said as I gave her a pat on the back.

Looking up, she gave me a blank stare.

I did a quick exchange of P.E. shorts in the nurse's office and sent her on her way to lunch.

Walking back to my classroom, I couldn't help but chuckle, they sure didn't teach me how to deal with that in teacher's college.

3 comments:

Rob said...

lol...very clever and quick :)

Josh Stacey said...

I can totally see you doing that, Hannah. That's hysterical. I peed my pants in second grade, but it's only because my friends were trying to keep me out of the bathroom. My best friend's mom came and brought me a change of clothes.

Unknown said...

I just read this and have to add that once when teaching grade 6 in Canada something similar happened. We were on a field trip to the science centre and a girl (grade 6) pee'd her pants. I had to dry them with the hand dryer in the bathroom so she could continue with the trip. The things we do for our students!!!