I have to say, I was much more nervous that most of my students on Wednesday morning. Last year, I had no idea what to expect, and in return didn't feel as much anxiety about the first day of school. This year was different. I knew how important the first few days are in a classroom. They set up everything for the year: your expectations, rules, procedures, community, etc. Let's just say I was prepared. I had typed out my daily schedule to the minute, had even practiced what I was going to say to them during the day in my car, and wore a business skirt, all to prove that Ms. Rodgers means it this year.
To my heart's surprise, God has provided a beautiful group of kids this year. Knock on wood, but I had a wonderful first few days of school with them. For one, I feel more confident as a teacher. But, even with that, my kids are just calmer than last year. When I want them to do something the first time...GET THIS...they do it. It's incredible. They say yes mees and thank you. They even say please when they want something. ( what a concept) If it keeps going the way it did this past week, I am in for a good year of teaching. (fingers crossed)
I'm really struggling with my Spanish right now. It's a catch 22 here in Monterrey. I am realizing just how difficult it is to connect with other people outside of school when your Spanish is just mediocre. You just can't get deep. Most of the time, people stare and mutter something about gringos. While there are plenty of great people that work at ASFM ( all who speak English) sometimes, you need an out---far outside of school. It's a cycle of wanting to learn Spanish but not having time due to my teacher work load that is all in English.
I need a plan to find friends outside of ASFM.
Here are some thoughts:
1) My yoga studio...I love it there.
2) Take a photography class in San Pedro
3) Find a Bible Study...do they exist here??
I have really been missing Colorado these past few days. I miss the Vineyard and my Bible Study. I miss my family and the B-town crew. There just isn't anything like it here. I know its an adjustment and that deep down I really love Mexico..but dang, I am missing it right now.
2 comments:
We miss you too!
It's great that you have such great kids. Hopefully their manners don't wear off. I bet part of the reason they're being so great is because you've set a good tone those first few days--"firm but fair" like you said. Remember that kids always want to live up to your expectations, so that's why we set them high!
Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Keep practicing your espanol. Oh yeah, I wanted to tell you that I love that you use "jajaja" for your laughing in Spanish!
I also have the problem that when I want to practice language out in the city, I really don't have enough to do so. I can say, "I like the blue one," but I can't understand what the shopkeeper says back to me. I can say "How much is it?" but I can't understand the answer. Oh, language learning.
I love you!
Beth
Post a Comment