Monday, November 14, 2011

A Different Kind of English

On a regular basis, I'm constantly confronted with the fact that I don't speak the same kind of English as a South African. With their lovely sweet accents, I hear all types of new words all the time. Just in case you come and visit me, here's a glossary. :)

Hectic-who knew it could be used in so many contexts? South Africans love, I mean love this word. Everything, I mean everything is considered hectic. For example, you'll hear things like... That car accident was hectic or Wow, how hectic was that thunderstorm? It could even be something that was positive...What a hectic party!

Boot- Nope, not the ones you wear...its your trunk. The first time I heard this, a man asked me if I could open my boot. I was so confused, I just stared for awhile. On top of that, the hood of your car is called the bonnet. In the same sentence someone could ask you to pop the bonnet and boot all in one. Confusing huh?

Shame- A phrase used to express "that's too bad." Every South African uses this phrase at least twice in one sentence. Shame Hannah, I wish you could come to the party. Shame, I'm sorry you are so stressed out.

Dudu- No, no, it's not the poo you'll find in a baby's diaper or the mess your dog made on your living room floor. South African moms use this to talk about their child napping. Oh honey, how was your dudu? I heard this for the first time last week while I was visiting the pastor's wife and her four cute kids. As her youngest one got up from a nap, she turned to him and asked him if he had a long and restful dudu. :)

Mates- Your friends. With the accent, it kind of sounds like maids. The first time I heard How are your mates doing? I thought I had heard How are your maids doing?

Braai- South African for BBQ. They love having braiis. A bit different than your average bbq in the states, South Africans take loads of raw meat and cook it over an open wood fire grill. I've gone to more braais in the past three months than BBQs in the states combined.

Robot- A traffic light. How in the world they decided to call it a robot, I'm not sure. But if you ever hear, Stop at the next robot, you'll know what they mean.

Howzit?- How's it going? David uses this one all the time...I still haven't caught on yet.

Lift- an elevator or escalator

SMS- a text message

Eish- This can meet a lot of things. For example, Eish, the traffic is bad today. Its kind of like saying "oh my goodness"

Torch- A flashlight. When the electricity first went out at the school, a girl asked if we could get torches. I told her I thought that would be a little much. Little did I know, she just wanted a flashlight. :)

Biltong- a phenomenal new version of beef jerky. Ask David how much I love this stuff. One time he bought a bag for himself, but I "accidentally" ate the whole thing while he was driving. Its dang good, I might need to try and bring some to the states with me over Christmas.

Rooibus- A South African hot tea. Caffeine free, its delicious!

Biscuit- A cookie..or could even be used as a term of endearment. Oh Hannah, you biscuit!

Just now- When someone tells you that they're going to do something just now, don't be fooled. This could mean in a few minutes, a few hours, or possibly never. When someone really means they'll do something, they'll say, I'll do it now now.

I've learned that you can't ask for cream and sugar in your coffee. If you do, they'll pour whip cream all over a nice cup of black joe. Instead, you have to ask for pure milk.

And now for your test...how well do you know South African slang....

Howzit? You should come to South Africa and visit me just now. Shame that you haven't made it yet! Make sure you put your purse in your boot and don't forget to change your oil out of your bonnet before you come. I'll make sure there are plenty of biscuits and rooibus and who can forget the billtong. The school's electricity goes out a lot so don't forget to pack your torch or else it could be quite hectic. Send me an SMS when you get to the airport. Don't take the lift, just wait for me out front. Tell your mates about coming out to SA, they're more than welcome to come too! South Africans pride themselves on taking long dudus, so don't worry if you're tired, you can rest here. We'll take you to a braai and eish if your lucky we won't have to stop at too many robots along the way.







1 comment:

must love sunrise and justice said...

This had me laughing, thanks for the dictionary. I might start using dudu here just to confuse jeff:).