Sunday, October 26, 2008

Almost deported out of Mexico

Our school ran into a slight mix up this past week. We had Mexican immigration come into our school last month for the first time in over 18 years. Normally the school has the new teachers work here off their tourist visas until they are able to process the work visa in October. Due to some mix ups, all of the new teachers had to leave the country last week and get new tourist visas to hurry the process of our work visas. Last Thursday, Emily and I headed up for a day adventure in McAllen Texas to get a new tourist visa. Apparently, if we don't have our new tourist visas in by tomorrow morning, we would be deported out of Mexico until we obtained our work visas. The picture in my head of how that would go down is pretty funny. Luckily, everything has been taken care of and I should be getting my work visa by the end of this week. I am now free to leave and enter the country as I please. ( Thank you God!)

In other news, my mom has been here for the past few days. It's been really nice to have her here. I have been quite homesick these past few weeks and its nice to be around someone that knows me really well. She got to come into my classroom on Friday and meet my kiddos. It was great to have her help me in my classroom and observe all of the things I've been talking about for the past few months.

I feel like I have a pretty bad case of culture shock. From feeling down, sad, frustrated, withdrawn, etc. I haven't totally been myself recently. I miss Colorado "like the dickens" and have been having a hard time adjusting here. I found this article on culture shock that I found to be helpful.

http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/cGuanipa/cultshok.htm

You should check it. It was nice to know that this adjustment feeling is quite normal.

Adios Amigos!

No comments: